Washington CAN! believes that everyone should have access to high quality, affordable health care, every time they need it. We want to see a health care system that:
• Does not discriminate based on pre-existing condition, or ability to pay
• Minimizes racial disparities in health rather than exacerbating them
• Allows everyone to receive the care they need to live a healthy life
We are currently working to preserve the Basic Health Plan in Washington State (the entire program is up for elimination this Special Session). The Basic Health Plan offers health insurance to low-income families throughout the state and without it, many would end up uninsured. We’re also pushing our Legislature to include a Basic Health Option as part of the implementation of the Affordable Care Act in 2014.
• We led the state campaign for federal health care reform, leading to the signing of the Affordable Care Act in 2010.
• Worked with the national Health Care for America NOW! Campaign to ensure quality, affordable access to health care for everyone living in the U.S.
• Won the reauthorization and Expansion of the Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), including the removal of the five-year bar for legal permanent resident children.
• Led a 2-year effort to give the Office of the Insurance Commissioner oversight over health care premium increases in the individual health insurance market.
• Led a campaign to create the Health Insurance Partnership (HIP) which will make quality health insurance coverage affordable for small businesses and their low-income employees.