The House of Representatives is considering a proposal to replace the Affordable Care Act with a plan that will result in millions of Americans losing their health insurance. We know this is a scary prospect and very complicated to understand, but here are a few key points:
- The plan will be particularly harmful to older health consumers and the poor.
- The bill will force people to pay much, much more for, high-deductible insurance and blows a huge hole in state budgets.
- It gives massive tax cuts to the very wealthy and drug and insurance corporations. It also defunds Planned Parenthood.
- The Republican bill ends Medicaid expansion and slashes state funding for the regular Medicaid program by radically changing the way Medicaid is funded.
- States will be forced to end coverage and eliminate health care services for seniors, people with disabilities, children and working families.
The House Ways and Means Committee has already approved this plan and Congressman Dave Reichert voted yes.
We need to press against this!
Please call Congressman Dave Reichert’s office and ask him to vote against the bill to replace the ACA. Reichert’s office phone in Issaquah is (877) 920-9208 and (202) 225-7761 in DC. (It helps to call both offices.)
We want to know how you’re feeling about this proposed bill. Tell us more here.