Sign the Petition to Stop Fare Increases and Service Cuts to Metro Transit!
In the past four years alone, Metro Transit rates have nearly doubled. Now, 26 routes face elimination and service cuts. (King County Metro Online, “Highlights of the Budget,” May 5, 2011: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/am/budget/index.html)
On May 7th, the City Council approved the most widespread set of route changes in Metro history:
- Over 30 routes will be reduced or eliminated out-right.
- Many of the routes cut serviced community colleges and underserved neighborhoods like Rainier Beach, White Center and Northgate.
- The cuts also affect services like Express buses and Night Owl buses that help shift workers make it to work on time and get home safe.
- Many of the reduced routes make way for improvements like Rapid Ride, which make use of fewer stops and shorten routes, making it harder for people with disabilities or mobility issues access transit options.
- The cuts are slated to go into effect this September, at the same time that the Ride Free Area is scheduled to end, exacerbating the issue of access to transit for working people.
Enough is enough! Together we can send a strong message to our elected officials that it’s time to support public transportation. Add your voice to the fight by signing onto the petition!